- Ambient critic Marc Weidenbaum's site features many well-written articles
and references centering around the more rhythmic varieties of ambient music.
- Dense Communications +
- Dense Communications provide publicity services for a number of experimental
labels of high quality (A-Musik, Mego, etc.)
- Musical Starstreams
- Excellent syndicated broadcast radio program with online audio archives.
- Earwaves Netowrk
- Dwight Loop, producer of the Earwaves and Radio 3000
ambient/experimental/electronic radio shows and EAR magazine, maintains this
site with playlists for the shows, sound samples, reviews and more.
- Here one can find information about several interesting guitar-ambient
bands in the Denton, Texas area.
- Sounder is a Windows application that allows the user to
use their computer to generate interactive, visual ambient music that
plays 'perpetually'. Sounder can run in the background, thus forming a
kind of musical 'lava lamp'.
- Blazz-net +
- Blazz-net, formerly Boom Booom, is/was a collective of 12 or so people who brought
a party atmosphere to clubs in England. Besides the full on dance oriented experience
BOOM BOOOM for large venues, they also offered BOOMBOOOMBIENCE for intimate venues.
Now it seems they are just doing webcasts? Still good stuff, though.
- Echoes: A Nightly Music Soundscape
- Echoes is a syndicated radio program in the US. It is similar to Hearts
of Space, but is a daily 2-hour show with a wider mixture of styles across
- Hearts of Space
- Hearts of Space is a thematic syndicated radio program in the US, and is
also an associated record label. Each show is an uninterrupted 58-minute
musical journey, crafted to create a psychologically stimulating, physically
relaxing ambience. Space-creating instrumental music from many eras and cultures
merges with the latest electronic and acoustic ambient music in a seamless
thematic sequence unified by sound, emotion, and spatial imagery.
- Andy Burnett's WWW Music Database
- One can extract just the ambient entries from this simple yet informative
database by using the URL
- SSEYO Ltd is a pioneering UK software company founded in 1990 to
develop Computer Assisted Ambient Music (CAAM). SSEYO has a UK development
centre where the SSEYO Koan Music Engine (SKME) software is written and it
has a development centre in the US, specialising in front end developments
for the music engine. SSEYO hopes its software, which generates
ever-changing beautiful mood music, will provide a platform for an
altogether new music genre, where music composed has the freedom to be
indeterminate but at the same time can be beautiful and intriguing.
- The Ambient Ping +
- The Ambient Ping is Toronto's unique weekly live ambient music event.
At the home site there are ambient performance photos, soundfiles, links
and a complete schedule right from the first performance in August 1999.
- sound:escape +
- sound:escape is a weekly 4 hour ambient music webcast which features an
archived version of the complete show each week which can be
played at any time regardless of your time zone. Live ambient
performances are a regular highlight on the show.
- F7 Sound and Vision +
- F7 Sound and Vision is a sound design company that offers some interesting
ambient recordings and compositions.
- Hypnagogue is a CD-ROM film containing ambient music composed using electric bass.
- Transfer is an offbeat webzine with daily rants by the curator. He seems to be devoted to promoting
underground electronica with an ambient slant. Lots to read, good content and presentation.
- The Big Chill
- Since 1993, Pete Lawrence has been
coordinating successful ambient-themed events in England under
the banner The Big Chill.
- A Chicago-based radio show that aired from 1969 to 1977, focusing on
progressive music, including electronic. A very interesting set of pages
for what must have been an amazing station.
- An amazing & huge web environment you will find a hodge-podge of
cyber, zen and techno.
- Leonardo Music Journal
- The Leonardo Music Journal, part of the Leonardo project to explore technology in the fine arts, contains references to
some artists and theorists who are exploring some very ambient concepts.
- A growing collection of ambient-techno music reviews, interviews and links.
- EarSaver is a commercial software product that generates ambient
soundscapes in the background while you work.
- The LAB
- On Sundays and Thursdays, The LAB does live Internet radio shows that are ambient-based.
- Rollin' is an electronic music portal and co-branded ISP. They might have some ambient links not listed here.