News update: 5TH JULY 2018
Thanks to Dario, Rory, John, Richard, Bernd, Joe, and EnoWeb's own newsbot Tom Boon in no particular order for these news items.
77 Million Paintings is showing at the Historical Museum Of BiH in Sarajevo until 29th August. Brian gave a talk to launch it on 14th June; apparently we should brace ourselves for "some very strong language".
A new BBC Radio 4 play about David Bowie's Low includes "Brian Eno" as a character, played by Wilf Scolding.
- Low - broadcast at 14:30 on Saturday 7th July and then available for a month afterwards
In the months since our previous update, Brian turned 70. He appeared reluctant to squeeze any publicity out of his birthday, though he did show up to plug Music for Installations a bit.
Two official snippets have been released from his Music For Installations talk at the British Library.
Here's a round-up of Music for Installations reviews:
- The Guardian
- The Arts Desk
- Resident Advisor
- The Daily Express
- Under The Radar
- The Times (paywall)
- Rythmes Croisés
There's a one-page interview with Brian in Issue 250 of Classic Rock magazine. He says, "I used to get up very early. But now I've come to believe that sleep is very, very important."
Mustard The Tortoise: I could have told him that.
Eno's statement may be seen to tie in with his comments about "Surbahar Sleeping Music" in the book accompanying Music For Installations: "an attempt to make a piece of music that would help me get to sleep". After the theories of Surrender and Scenius, it is clear that Sleep is the new S-themed bee in Brian's bonnet.
Talking of talking, "Matt Berry Interviews... Brian Eno"
As does Geeta Dayal.
- Rolling Stone; Salon also has an article about the Oblique Strategies from Geeta's Another Green World book.
And Peter Aspden.
And Red Bulletin.
And Eclipsed Rock-Magazin.
Brian donated a lightbox for an auction in aid of Artangel, titled Aeolian.
Mustard The Tortoise: I'm going to steal it. Then it'll be an Illegal Aeolian.
An article about the Graham and Brown wallpaper that Brian designed in 2016.
Excerpts from Mister Eno's Politickal Activism Almanack:
- Resident Advisor reports on the Block9 Creative Retreat in Palestine and Paris
- Brian at PMX
- On boycotting the Pop-Kultur festival in Berlin
- Video: Brian Eno on Berlin, Pop-Kultur festival and BDS
- Brian spoke at a "No to Trump No to War" event - ignoring the fact that as Donald Trump himself has said, "If not for me, we would now be at War with North Korea!", and we think The President has shown himself always to be a man of his word. <g>, as we used to say on CompuServe.
- Video: Brian on Proportional Representation
"Stones" - a new track by Brian and Trio Joubran resulting from the Block9 Creative Retreat
Enovideo. Gotta say that YouTube's Search function really doesn't work well any more. You type in Brian Eno and it serves up loads of irrelevant stuff. Separating the wheat from the chaff:
- Audience view of "Empty Formalism"
- "Wander", Brian's generative Koan FREESENSE track from 2001
- Brian's Lecture at the Free Thinking Festival in 2006
- Audience view of Otherworlds and Light Music in 2016
- The secret of "Slow Water" - we like it when we discover something new about old music
- Interviews about the Luminous Festival in 2009
- Hot Science
- The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year is less than 6 months away; in 2010 Adam Buxton and Joe Cornish riffed on the idea of Christmas morning at David Bowie's house with added Eno
- Compline: nothing to do with Eno, but both bizarre and tranquil
Activities of Eno's pals and collaborators:
- J. Peter Schwalm has a new record out: How We Fall
- Roger Eno has a new album out: Dust of Stars
- Jon Hassell has a new album out: Listening to Pictures (Pentimento Volume One) and gave interviews covering similar ground to The Quietus and Billboard; Pitchfork, the Guardian, the Financial Times and Noisey reviewed it
- James' forthcoming album, Living in Extraordinary Times, features Brian on keyboards for the track "Coming Home (Pt.2)"
- Peter Chilvers has been working on an app or three for Robert Fripp and Theo Travis
- Harold Budd may have had to postpone his Spring 2018 concerts in London and Dublin, but here he is in conversation with dublab
- 92nd Street Y - Laurie Anderson in conversation with Neil Gaiman
- Laurie Anderson talks about Lou Reed's poetry
- A conversation with David Toop
- Ryuichi Sakamoto
It's so hot that Mustard The Tortoise has taken refuge in EnoWeb's mailbox to try to keep cool.
Dave writes: Is there a way to subscribe to updates? For example, do you have an email list I could join that notifies me when there are updates?
Mustard: There's no email list as GDPR makes managing that kind of thing a bit of a nightmare. Tom set up a frankly amateurish enowebnews Blog page to which you can subscribe. RSS may or may not work these days.
Manifestation Miracle writes: Hi, Today I want to show you a really absurd, but extremely effective "Manifestation Formula"
Mustard: I don't care how absurd it is, just so long as it involves a formula for manifesting dandelions. Mine have all wilted in the heat.
Manifestation Miracle: This will FORCE the universe to give you the life of your dreams
Mustard: Putting my understandable scientific scepticism to one side for a moment, can you offer me any examples that might pique my interest?
Manifestation Miracle: money
Manifestation Miracle: happiness
Manifestation Miracle: success
Manifestation Miracle: I am talking about the kind of life that most people only ever fantasize and dream about.
Mustard: I only ever fantasize and dream about dandelions. Let's skip to the end.
Manifestation Miracle: Life will all of a sudden get super exciting, you'll find it hard to sleep as you'll be so excited about each new day to come...
Mustard: You really don't know me at all.
Manifestation Miracle: P.S. You will find yourself shocked and amazed the very first time you use this secret.
Mustard: What, when I discover I paid out for something that doesn't work?
Susan Harris writes: We are a Business to Business (B2B) contact list provider. Being a speck in an industry we are aware is unfortunately mired in distrust with unfulfilled commitments, our aim is to provide a service that will have you return to us for your subsequent needs.
Mustard: A most admirable aspiration! Alas, as a speck you do sound too small to be credible.
Susan Harris: I shall attach one of our Business development executives to you should you be willing to try us out.
Mustard: Sorry, I don't fancy having one of that lot glued to my shell. I draw the line at having to cart them around everywhere I go.
Zine writes: I am outspoken, caring, affectionate, conscious, plodding and emotional woman.
Mustard: It's a character sketch that tells me everything I need to know.
Surprise Reward writes: Enjoy the Scenery of These Irresistible Ladies
Mustard: Y'know, all humans look big to me, but those ladies sound as if they may be taking it to extremes.
Surprise Reward: Hello, Thousands of gorgeous Russian ladies are looking for someone to fulfill their loneliness.
Mustard: I can certainly help with that.
Tammy Peterson writes: Bill Gates invests in spray that re-activates your hair follicles so you regain all your hair back.
Mustard: Hasn't he got anything better to do with his time? It's the Tortoise and the Hare all over again.
Helen Gonzalez writes: the masters limerick went like this: Then I encountered styled the work of Larry Eisenberg, appropriately enough
Mustard: That's a rubbish limerick. It doesn't even rhyme.
Guardian-angel-reading writes: Golden Angel: his celestial help is all yours! Whether it is about Money, Love or Luck, I am certain that you have 3 Secret Wishes deep down that you would really like to quickly see granted.
Mustard: This is true. They are 1) dandelions, 2) dandelions, and 3) more dandelions.
Guardian-angel-reading: With the help of your Guardian Angel, I will deploy mighty powers capable of fulfilling your 3 Secret Wishes so you can be filled with Happiness starting now.
Mustard: That's awfully generous of you, although I would prefer to be filled with dandelions. Can you fix that? Thought not.
Guardian-angel-reading: You only have one gesture to make Ask to receive Your Angelical Reading for free right away.
Mustard: I'm making a gesture now. Can you divine what it is?